What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is several hours late, but yesterday evening when it was a gazillion degrees out, I had hand watered everything that required it and set a sprinkler in the tomato patch. There was a little hummingbird "bathing" fluffing feathers and enjoying the sprinkler in the shade that I put there just for him/her. (think it was a little male but couldn't see well enough and didn't want to scare him off.)

Watched 3 Netflix shows in the past couple weeks:
  • 6 Underground...a Ryan Reynolds movie--he is a rich former CEO who assembles a team of mercenaries to take out bad people...just because. Fast & Furious meets Deadpool meets the Magnificent 7...with just a pinch of Transformers. Strangely directed and cut...Michael Bey was just having some experimental fun, I think. At first, I hated the jerky story telling, but I suppose it turned out ok. Kind of weird, since there are several parts of the story that they don't explain, but if you just go along for the ride, the bumps aren't too bad, and by the end it is a pretty fun ride.

Last edited:
  • Sentinelle...a French movie about a woman soldier who returns from deployment and avenges the attack and rape of her sister. (Some softcore(?) sex in this one, so be warned...it was gratuitous to the story, so I didn't really see it coming...next thing you know, sex scene! The French, amiright? ;) Also drug use--the protagonist has a form of PTSD and painkiller addiction.) I have to say I liked it overall.
Now that I look at that list, I guess I've been in a vigilante mood. Who knew. At least you could easily cheer for the protagonists in all of these shows. They all knew what had to be done for justice to be served.

You will need to read subtitles for this one.

Last edited:
@Weedygarden
I preferred the original. But the Harrison version had some good things about it. For one, I like that they gave more into what she was up to in Paris than in the original. How she found herself. I also liked that they David was more fleshed out. In the original he seemed way more shallow and like the dumb pretty boy.
Harrison played a great Linus, but the new version of the character had less snark, imo, which I liked a lot with Bogart.

I did. Not. Like. What they did with the Sabrina character. Hepburn (the character, it's just easier to use the actress' name) was dreamy, still had that sad, melancholic aspect to her, but when she came back from France she was more carefree and bold. The newer version didn't have that boldness, as far as I could see. It's like she did have it for a second - when David drove her home - but lost it very quickly. That scene in Hepburn movie, when she was messing with David in the car, was my favorite. That witty back and forth wasn't there in the new one.

But it is a remake, so not everything will be the same, obviously. Or that would be weird.

One thing that made me chuckle was the fact that most men at the party (the night Sabrina comes back) are wearing white jackets. When in the original, the dad was saying that wearing a white jacket in the evening made them look like barbers! 😆

@Weedygarden
I preferred the original. But the Harrison version had some good things about it. For one, I like that they gave more into what she was up to in Paris than in the original. How she found herself. I also liked that they David was more fleshed out. In the original he seemed way more shallow and like the dumb pretty boy.
Harrison played a great Linus, but the new version of the character had less snark, imo, which I liked a lot with Bogart.

I did. Not. Like. What they did with the Sabrina character. Hepburn (the character, it's just easier to use the actress' name) was dreamy, still had that sad, melancholic aspect to her, but when she came back from France she was more carefree and bold. The newer version didn't have that boldness, as far as I could see. It's like she did have it for a second - when David drove her home - but lost it very quickly. That scene in Hepburn movie, when she was messing with David in the car, was my favorite. That witty back and forth wasn't there in the new one.

But it is a remake, so not everything will be the same, obviously. Or that would be weird.

One thing that made me chuckle was the fact that most men at the party (the night Sabrina comes back) are wearing white jackets. When in the original, the dad was saying that wearing a white jacket in the evening made them look like barbers! 😆
This movie is a classic, imho. I like to rewatch classic movies a few times, because of the nuances. Either I miss something that was said or done, or I forget. I will rewatch both of these films in the future.

Do you have any other movies that you are classics that you would recommend? My best friend and I are always looking for recommendations, newer, older, or classic versions.

I have watched Pride & Prejudice (1995 & 2005), each of them, many times. I have watched the older versions as well, but they are harder to find to watch online. I have 1995 & 2005 DVDs, so it I never have to search for them online. I don't watch them every day, every week or every month. I watch them here and there. Watch them twice a year, and in 5 years, I've seen them 10 times. There are a few other movies that I own and have watched a few times. When my daughter was still living at home, she had many movies and we watched some of them many times. This is all intermixed with watching other movies.

I don't own many movies. At one point, we (mostly daughter) had 100's in VHS that are gone now, donated. I have a dozen DVDs in one bin that are my go to movies when I can't find anything that I'm interested in. I do have about a dozen other movies.

Do you have any other movies that you are classics that you would recommend? My best friend and I are always looking for recommendations, newer, older, or classic versions.
Hmm. Good question. I don't think I'm that much of a movie expert but I can share with you movies I would watch over and over again.

Arsenic and Old Lace,
James Bond: Live and Let Die,
James Bond: The Man with the Golden Gun.

Just a few weeks ago my family and I watched The Green Mile and I just love that movie! I don't think I could get tired of it. And speaking of Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump.

The Negotiator
with Sam L Jackson and Kevin Spacey. This is one movie my father watched when I was a kid and thought it was another dumb cop movie, but I like it a lot now.

I can't seem to think of more right now but I'll try to remember that you're open to recommendations and if I'm watching anything interesting, I can tag you in the post.

I don't own many movies. At one point, we (mostly daughter) had 100's in VHS that are gone now, donated. I have a dozen DVDs in one bin that are my go to movies when I can't find anything that I'm interested in. I do have about a dozen other movies.

Same here. Mountains of tapes and DVDs, but most are stored away in boxes.
I still think the VHS will make a comeback, if only for the vintage cool points. I think I had seen some people using Walkmans as a fashion accessory a couple years ago, and good old school.
It might be a good idea to save them and see if I can record anything from tv on a tape (if I can even find some) like before.

Manifest - I'd heard this series mentioned and finally watched all three seasons. Apparently it's been canceled and that makes no sense at all because it's a good story and has a lot of fans. I really liked it. A lot.

Cruella - This is not 101 Dalmations and it's another one that I really liked.

Manifest - Apparently it's been canceled and that makes no sense at all because it's a good story and has a lot of fans. I really liked it. A lot.

I liked the first season and parts of the 2nd. It was a good show, very interesting story line, refreshing... but they ran it off the rails into bizzaro land. If I missed an episode there was no catching up! Nothing made sense after that.
------------------------------------------
Watching the Tour de France this morning. The race has gotten very interesting plus today they are riding through some of the most beautiful farmland in France.

I liked the first season and parts of the 2nd. It was a good show, very interesting story line, refreshing... but they ran it off the rails into bizzaro land. . . .

Yeah, I think the writers wrote themselves into a corner that last season. I just ignored those bits and stayed with the original story line. If they have a 4th season, maybe they'll get it back on track.

Watching the Tour de France this morning. The race has gotten very interesting plus today they are riding through some of the most beautiful farmland in France.
I see that the woman with the sign who caused the accident last Saturday has turned herself in. That moment could have a strong effect on the rest of her life. It will definitely affect the first man down.

I see that the woman with the sign who caused the accident last Saturday has turned herself in. That moment could have a strong effect on the rest of her life. It will definitely affect the first man down.

The tour officials said they were dropping the civil law suit. However, the woman has been charged with "involuntarily causing injury", what ever that means in France. She can be fined up to $1800 (in dollars us).

Since last Saturday the crowds have been better behaved than I've seen in past years. But, there are always a few idiots.

I'll be watching Misery. Never heard of it, but apparently it's a Stephen King classic?
@Weedygarden , any thoughts? Have you ever watched this one?
I just read that Kathy Bates got an Academy Award for her role in Misery. These are the kinds of things that I never paid attention to and never remember. I probably won't remember this tomorrow.

Misery reminded me of "The Beguiled", had the same creepy air to it. The Beguiled, Clint Eastwood as a wounded soldier in an all girls school, romance, intrigue and murder.

Misery reminded me of "The Beguiled", had the same creepy air to it. The Beguiled, Clint Eastwood as a wounded soldier in an all girls school, romance, intrigue and murder.
Oh, yes, they are similar. That film kind of creeped me out. I have had chances to see it again, but never have. I think I will look for it and watch it again.

I didn't care for it or Misery or similar. There is enough creepy in real life. No reason to sit and watch it on the tube. Those type movies aren't my cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back