What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years, i've wrapped the canner weight into same bubble wrap, and rubber band, before putting it inside the canner after use. Also i put the canner lid upside down onto the canner, and then a white flour towel on top, to keep any dust out of the lid, while it sits on the shelf for the next time.

Rosella Jam.

I had the seed pods covered with water in the slow cooker over night, I've strained them out of the pectin rich liquid and fed them to the chickens.
I've put the calyxes and the liquid back in the slow cooker to soften.
If I put the sugar in with the calyxes before they're soft an pulpy they stay crunchy and it's just not a good texture for jam.
I'll add sugar to taste, pour the jam into half pints and water bath can.

Rosella Jam.

I had the seed pods covered with water in the slow cooker over night, I've strained them out of the pectin rich liquid and fed them to the chickens.
I've put the calyxes and the liquid back in the slow cooker to soften.
If I put the sugar in with the calyxes before they're soft an pulpy they stay crunchy and it's just not a good texture for jam.
I'll add sugar to taste, pour the jam into half pints and water bath can.

Thoughts.

These "new and improved" Rosella variety doesn't have as much pectin in the seed pods as the original wild, scrawny variety.
The jam failed to set even though I had the seed pods simmering over night in the slow cooker.
I n0w have 7 half pints of chunky Rosella syrup.
One of the half pints didn't seal and it'll be good as pancake syrup.

Lesson learned.
I'm putting jam setter on the shopping list for the next batch.

Thoughts.

These "new and improved" Rosella variety doesn't have as much pectin in the seed pods as the original wild, scrawny variety.
The jam failed to set even though I had the seed pods simmering over night in the slow cooker.
I n0w have 7 half pints of chunky Rosella syrup.
One of the half pints didn't seal and it'll be good as pancake syrup.

Lesson learned.
I'm putting jam setter on the shopping list for the next batch.
Use it for pancakes and waffles or you can try to recan using the jam setter assuming it is like our added in pectins. I tried using a different brand one time cause it was all the store had and it didn't set up the way my hunny likes his jelly. But yes, it was one of those live and learn. . .

Use it for pancakes and waffles or you can try to recan using the jam setter assuming it is like our added in pectins. I tried using a different brand one time cause it was all the store had and it didn't set up the way my hunny likes his jelly. But yes, it was one of those live and learn. . .

To be honest I don't want to waste anymore LPG on recanning it and I'm content to have it as a syrup.
The bushes are loaded with developing fruit and flowers so this won't be my last batch by any stretch of the imagination.
Yes, Jam Setter is a add in pectin.

I use the cold plate and wrinkle method.
I put a bread and butter side plate in the freezer and when I think the jam is ready I pour a small spoonful on the cold plate, wait a couple of mins. and then drag my finger through the middle and see if it wrinkles.
This jam never got to wrinkle stage and so...I threw my hands up and called it syrup and done.

My pressure canner weight arrives in the post today.

This THING is going to have a designated spot and it's going to be kept there!
I'm thinking it might be safest being kept on the pressure canner lid.

I keep mine inside the canner with the racks. Everything is together.

This pass Sunday i canned Vegetable Soup...
Canned Veg Soup April 15th 2018.jpg

I'm thawing out the chicken I was suppose to can last week but couldn't.

I'm canning it up in half pints which is enough for a single portion if put with veggies and a starch.

I also brought more bacon so I might can that if I need more jars to make a load.

We clean the bones off then can the bones too and dogs love it. They just crumble after canning.

2 wks ago canned 26 qt.s of carrots or 25 lb.s. Carrots have doubled in price since last time and that is not even organic it is next best thing I guess, it is Green Wise.

Came home after work to make up 20 pints of Lynn's Sweet & Spicy Pickles and 9 pints of Sweet Relish. That was almost 36 lbs of cucumbers picked yesterday. Did get another gallon sized bag of green beans blanched for the freezer. I spread them into cookie sheets lined with freezer paper. Once frozen, dump in a bag and just grab what I want out. They aren't stuck together doing it this way. Once I get time, I will eventually can my green beans, but for now other things in life come first. The garden is almost in full swing.

Today I did my last huge harvest of rosellas and I've processed them and have enough seed pods to fill both of my biggest slow cookers.

I'll cook down the seed pods over night and in the morning I'll strain them off, return the liquid back to the slow cookers along with the calyxes and sugar
and stew them down and hopefully the jam will set this time.

I watched Deep South Homestead's latest porch time and it gave me a kick in the rump to get out there and harvest before the rosellas were past saving.

I need to harvest some old layers before they drop dead on me.

Latest posts

Back