What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to go by some chicken feed and diesel fuel. Traffic was awful for 2pm on a Tuesday.
Wife had to run to the vet for some meds for the dog we are sitting for. So I'm stuck in the house till she gets back. Still gotta unload the truck, feed and water the hens, gather eggs, and a couple things in the basement. Thought I'd be done and kicked back for the evening by now

It's still pouring. This is the most rain we have had in many months.
We did nothing to day except take care of the animals. Played the game again and argued about the rules LOL. Some of them are a little confusing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola
LOL, we must be nuts, we are farming for real, but here we are playing a game about it also. But no modern technology of any kind, it is supposed to be farming in the 16th century or something

It's still pouring. This is the most rain we have had in many months.
We did nothing to day except take care of the animals. Played the game again and argued about the rules LOL. Some of them are a little confusing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola
LOL, we must be nuts, we are farming for real, but here we are playing a game about it also. But no modern technology of any kind, it is supposed to be farming in the 16th century or something
We used to play "the Farming Game" with out second family New Years Eve. Evidently different than that but along similar lines.

I played The Farming Game when I was a kid too. I don't remember what it was like, though.

Daughter and I spent the afternoon cleaning in the kitchen. I had found evidence of a mouse so we cleaned all the surfaces. The was a stain on the white countertop that wouldn't easily come off. She came up with the idea to use the denture cleaner she has for her retainer. It worked like a charm! I had never heard of that, but the counter looks fantastic.

Tonight we will make burgers, with Ruffles chips and Anderson Erickson chip dip. AE is the best you can get! Then I have to be in bed around 8 or so, tomorrow is my only work day this week and I'll have to be up about 4:15am.

I played The Farming Game when I was a kid too. I don't remember what it was like, though.

Daughter and I spent the afternoon cleaning in the kitchen. I had found evidence of a mouse so we cleaned all the surfaces. The was a stain on the white countertop that wouldn't easily come off. She came up with the idea to use the denture cleaner she has for her retainer. It worked like a charm! I had never heard of that, but the counter looks fantastic.

Tonight we will make burgers, with Ruffles chips and Anderson Erickson chip dip. AE is the best you can get! Then I have to be in bed around 8 or so, tomorrow is my only work day this week and I'll have to be up about 4:15am.
If I recall, it was akin to Monopoly but with farming stuff instead of high-rises.

Seems lots of folks aren't working today. Makes it difficult to get anything done.

We made it up to Best Western in Attalla, AL today on our journey to Pigeon Forge TN. Meeting up with daughter and boyfriend up there for 4 days.
We have reached our destination and OMG! Daughter booked us a suite!:woo hoo:
IMG_20231226_151403.jpg

Oh YEAH. Have fun
Oh, and on our 2-day drive thru 4 states, I did not see a single EV or EV charging station :oops:.
I think they are a unicorn myth.:rolleyes:

Chores done this morning, and mostly taking care of husband. Laundry, got to the post office after two weeks to pick up mail. Daughter, little granddaughter, and I went to grab milkshakes after lunch, then to visit mom and bring her one, and give her Christmas presents. Came back home and cut the meat off the three big toms that had been chilling. Got the meat ground and froze. Leftovers for dinner, so that was easy.

Got some laundry done. Went through wrapping paper, tissue paper, gift bags, got rid of some of it. I reuse stuff, think it is wasteful to throw away gift bags and tissue paper after one use and I know people think it is tacky to reuse it but I do not care. Took the dog for a walk at a park. She usually resists that location or strives hard to get back to the car, but everything was fine with her today. My whole knee turned yellow yesterday, still is today and hurt more today.

When did you get hurt? I must have missed it..

Not much today but rest, badly needed after 2 bad weeks. Already feel better..
Oh, yeah, a few days ago at work, tripped and kept trying to regain my balance and kept stumbling. I mean, it seemed like it took forever for me to hit the floor but was probably less than 3 seconds. Posted top of page 1725 last Friday.
Fell yesterday, trip, stumble, trying to recover, almost rolled it out. 🤣🧐 Hilarious on replay.
Palm of my hand, nice bruise; elbow, upper arm hurt a few days; my knee took a bit of the fall too, but really I recovered fine. Thanks for asking @Peanut

Oh, yeah, a few days ago at work, tripped and kept trying to regain my balance and kept stumbling. I mean, it seemed like it took forever for me to hit the floor but was probably less than 3 seconds. Posted top of page 1725 last Friday.

Palm of my hand, nice bruise; elbow, upper arm hurt a few days; my knee took a bit of the fall too, but really I recovered fine. Thanks for asking @Peanut

Copy cat!!! Sounds just like falling out my niece's backdoor thanksgiving. I had time to decide if i wanted to land on my face or side. 🤣 it was slow motion!

Seems lots of folks aren't working today
Half of our little town was closed yesterday. Have a few calls to make today, that were unanswered yesterday.

Will walk in a few minutes.
Start black eyed peas in crockpot.
Walk dogs.
Make phone calls.
Nothing else on my list, but something will appear!

Trying to clean up after the holidays! Our Son cooks, but it looks like we were hit by a tornado and the stove looked like someone did and oil change on it.... He means well but it leaves me with day's of work after he is gone. His mother is happy so that makes it okay...

Our trip to the doctors yesterday was just a big hole in time... All the tests came back to say that you have really serious CHF... Duh! The warning labels on the new medicines say that they should only be administered in a hospital to provide constant monitoring, so that gave us the bottle and sent us home...

To be honest, every day I wake up wondering if today is the day I wake up alone.. I would prefer that it be after the new year.... or even after next year for that matter....
Life is so complicated... I just had the weirdest thought, imagine getting to the pearly gates and being told you need to wait till your paperwork clears....

it's still pouring outside, wow, 3 days now, poor animals have been stuck in barn
so today we will have to work around them again to clean. It looks like it might stop for a little while later, we'll see.

I am out of potatoes and onions. Finally used all ours up we grew except some small crappy ones I will use for seed potatoes. So we need to go to the nearest store to get some. It's still about 40 minutes away

Our son spotted some small cats ( not quite fully grown) under his house yesterday. Just what we don't need....the dogs will try to kill them. I have no idea where they came from. They look healthy and fed. The immediate neighbors all have dogs.
Usually if animals get dumped off they are at the bottom of the mountain near the regular road not up here. We did get a little dog at the barn once, and took him to a shelter ( she was not trainable and peed in the house, we tried)
Not sure what to do about them. There is plenty of mice and rats around I would imagine but not sure they are big enough to catch them. I don't want to feed them.

I sympathize with you, Urban. And I haven't had the pearly gates dream, but last night was all about hospitals and nurses. One in particular. The dream didn't seem to mean anything to me though.
Daughter and little granddaughter want to go to Hobby Lobby today, so we'll do that this afternoon. Husband wants to get a few items from Walmart, so I'll pick those up while we are out. And I need to get more feed. Daughter leaves tomorrow, so it's her last full day here.

I'm thinking about replacing all the locks on the house, I'm thinking about getting all keyed the same so I only need 1 key for everything...

Our robo-vacuum ate one of the wife's nativity scenes, I think I have found all the broken parts and I will try to repair it tonight (need some super glue first).

I misplaced the remote to my TV, so I will not be distracted until I clean it back into existence...

Got word son made it back home to NYC last night. He told the wife that he is working ER on New Years Eve and she is not happy...

It's still raining here so will be limited to indoor work...

It's too cold and windy here to do any outdoor work except for the animal chores that little granddaughter and I will have to do. Daughter is not into farming, animal, all that stuff, so she'll be inside today until we go to the bigger town to do some shopping. She gets pretty bored out here, but does like it when neighbors stop in to visit. I know she's ready to get back to the hospital in Arizona that she works at. She's been a good help in keeping husband distracted so I can get stuff done. Our son was here two weeks while we were gone, and things got pretty messy and normal stuff backed up. I did get the upstairs cleaned yesterday, and just need to get the sheets on again in the guest room he stayed in. I really appreciate him being here with little granddaughter while we were gone, but it reminded me of what a mess he is. Ha.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Yesterday I had to go to the store for groceries and got sweet feed for the cows. That made them happy.

Cooked for Mom and she's been having a decent appetite but sugar is still unstable. I don't know enough about the insulin or the carb counting etc to know how to do the doses appropriately and leave it up to her, but since the dka threw everything out of whack it's not balancing just yet.

Last night my oldest cat came in with his ear looking filthy. Went to clean it and pus came out. Took him to the vet first thing this morning. He's such a good kitty-- no fussing at all. Something bit his ear and there was a puncture on top and bottom. It's the ear that crumpled up after getting filled with fluid a few years back. Vet cleaned it and gave him antibiotics and he's doing fine.

My friend told us the date for his wedding and asked me to help with decorating ideas. But I have no idea. I hate weddings. I think they are a waste of $ and I think spending $ on stuff that will get thrown away is wasteful and pointless. But if it makes him & his fiance happy I'll do my best. No idea what theme they want. I know he likes red & black. She likes goth. They both like anime. I've suggested looking for stuff at Dollar Tree. It will be outdoors in his back yard. Not sure how 70 people can fit, but we'll see. I've given suggestions on some photos to take in my yard-- near some cool looking trees. But that's about it. Anyone have ideas?

My friend told us the date for his wedding and asked me to help with decorating ideas. But I have no idea. I hate weddings. I think they are a waste of $ and I think spending $ on stuff that will get thrown away is wasteful and pointless. But if it makes him & his fiance happy I'll do my best. No idea what theme they want. I know he likes red & black. She likes goth. They both like anime. I've suggested looking for stuff at Dollar Tree. It will be outdoors in his back yard. Not sure how 70 people can fit, but we'll see. I've given suggestions on some photos to take in my yard-- near some cool looking trees. But that's about it. Anyone have ideas?
I agree with you. People who do not have money, or much money, need to keep it simple. No money to waste. There are many people who think they need to spend way more money than is necessary. But I come from a family where both of my parents were starving during the Great Depression, and money was always spent on the basics, nothing frivolous.

Latest posts

Back